Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Of Insomnia, Psychology, Narcotics and More...

I was tossing and turning, couldn't sleep--probably nervous/excited about the Myriam Gurba visit in class later today.  So I thought I would write and thank the class for such a compelling, useful seminar last Monday--your contributions were 1st-rate, top-shelf, etc and I am in the debt of those of you who carefully prepared and contributed for sharing your views/ideas. I learned a lot about Dahlia Season Monday.

Thanks!

On another note, a very moving note from one of your peers came in to a GTA and myself that I wanted to share; it touches on themes covered Monday in class, but is interesting, useful, and revealing in other ways as well:

Hey ******! (And Professor) I just wanted to share a few things that I thought about both during class and after class, but didn't have the courage to say in front of my peers! I am also going to copy Professor Nericcio on this so he can see as well!

First, in large lecture, the subject of suicide had been brought up when discussing Goethe's The Sorrows of Young Werther. Yesterday I was on a website "Stumbleupon" which takes you to different websites that are intriguing, weird, strange, absurd, and different. One of the things I came across was a forest in Japan called Aokigahara Forest, which is apparently the resting place for thousands of bodies. It says that so many people have committed suicide there that they now do annual sweeps of it to clean the bodies out. Pretty weird... Here are two different links to stories on it:

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/5rvm0r/www.cracked.com/article/181_the-6-creepiest-places-earth

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-03-19/world/suicide.forrest.japan_1_suicide-taro-aokigahara-forest?_s=PM:WORLD

Also, in small section we were talking about both the overmedication today's youth and misdiagnoses [associated with this pharmaceutical overload]. I have personal experience with this. I suffer from pretty bad anxiety, and am medicated for it to make it better, but at first multiple doctors kept telling both me and my parents that I had depression and were giving me medicine for that (which didn't help at all). The connection between the two that they saw was that the anxiety sometimes causes me to get really worked up and stressed out, so much that I get down on myself, which they thought was depression and didn't even acknowledge the anxiety portion. The depression medicine made me extremely bipolar, have fits in public (to the point where I would start crying all the time, in class in high school, in restaurants, and more). Eventually they figured it out and began treating me for anxiety, which has since helped a lot more.

I also deal with migraines and a sleeping disorder, and sometimes I do feel like I am being overmedicated. Between vitamins to help my brain activity and all the prescriptions, I take about ten to eleven pills a day, which sometimes feels like a whole lot, especially for a 19 year old girl. I often want to just stop taking them all, but I know they help reduce my symptoms and acutally do help me.

Finally, to sum up this long email, there is a song I heard a long time ago about that talks about medications in America. Some of the song is somewhat inappropriate, so I will only send the relevant lyrics and you can decide if you want to look up the rest! It is called "Underwear Goes Inside Your Pants" by Lazyboy.

Some key lyrics:

You know we have more prescription drugs now.
Every commercial that comes on TV is a prescription drug ad.
I can't watch TV for four minutes without thinking I have five serious diseases.
Like: "Do you ever wake up tired in the morning?"
Oh my god I have this, write this down. Whatever it is, I have it.
Half the time I don't even know what the commercial is:
people running in fields or flying kites or swimming in the ocean.
I'm like that is the greatest disease ever. How do you get that?
That disease comes with a hot chick and a puppy.

That is all! Have a great rest of your day/evening!

Yours,

*********



Here's a video of Lazyboy's song:

No comments:

Post a Comment